Quadbike Safety Update
Department of Labour have released a new guide on Quadbike Safety.
The quadbike safety steps you need to know are summarised here:
· Before you ride ask yourself whether the quadbike is the right vehicle for the job
· Ensure riders are trained / experienced enough to do the job
· Always wear a helmet
· Recognise dangerous areas by establishing ‘no-go zones’
· Don’t carry passengers
· Don’t let kids under 16 ride adult quadbikes
· Check the operating condition of the quadbike before you ride
· Keep quadbikes maintained in a safe condition
· Keep within the manufacturer’s towing or carrying limits
· Only use attachments designed for and compatible with the quadbike
· Don’t do tasks that interfere with safe riding
· Tell someone where you are going
· Avoid use while fatigued or under stress.
· Restrict unauthorised access to the quad bike.
In developing your safety system remember while you do not need to specifically follow the guide, if anything goes wrong you need a good reason why you did things outside of these guidelines.